Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My Standpoint as a Woman

Standpoint theory is all about women and other people from marginalized backgrounds world view. The theorists, Sarah Harding and Julia T. Wood say that standpoint is the place or location that we see the world. They also say that, "The social groups within which we are located powerfully shape what we experience and know as well as how we understand and communicate with ourselves, others, and the world." (Griffin p. 441). This means that how we are raised, the things we are to taught, our environment, and our individual experiences are what shape our standpoint. Harding focused on the standpoint of women who are marginalized. In this chapter she highlights some of the inequalities and differences between gender. Being a woman, I was very interested in this theory. I can see how women that are marginalized might have a clearer view of reality or truth. I don't consider myself as someone who is marginalized, but I think that I have a pretty good understanding of what is true and ethical. I think that since I am from a middle class family and now a starving student that I have developed a unique standpoint that helps me to identify with many different people, not only women.

2 comments:

CGH said...

I think it's interesting how this chapter focuses on the standpoint of women. As a woman, I think it is very interesting, but it's hard for me to fully relate to the chapter because I don't think every woman has a similar standpoint just because she is a woman. Like you wrote, we all have developed unique standpoints that help us understand and identify will people that have different perspectives than us.

Anonymous said...

I definitely relate with your statement about coming from a middle-class environment, but having a twist in perspective because you've experienced the "starving student" environment too. As an American woman, I don't really feel too oppressed as compared with other male-dominated cultures in other parts of the world, but watching a little TV, like music videos where women are only seen as sex/desired objects, knocks a little reality back in me!