Saturday, September 20, 2008

Uncertainty Reduction Theory: How I use it

In chapter 10 I read about Uncertainty reduction theory. The theory focuses on how humans use communication as a way to understand one another. When we first meet someone we are essentially strangers. We want to reduce the uncertainty about each other. The curiosity about other people is explained by Berger to be three prior conditions. The three conditions are Anticipation of future interaction, incentive value, and deviance. All of these factors make us want to solve the "puzzle" of who the stranger is.
This theory is one that I can agree with. I am always very curious as to why people do the things they do. Even though my boyfriend and I have been dating for almost five years, I still find myself trying to predict and explain some of the things he does or will do. He has a strange attachment to his playstation. I have tried many times to understand what the connection is with that but I doubt I ever will, probably because I am a girl who does not see the point to video games. From the reading I have learned that I have a lot of behavioral and cognitive questions to ask.

3 comments:

Professor Cyborg said...

Reducing uncertainty can motivate us to learn more about others, particularly people we don't know. However, learning more about other people doesn't necessarily reduce our uncertainty about them--sometimes it increases our uncertainty. That is, the more we know about the person, the less able we are to predict what they'll do because they don't seem to fit with any template we have for other people we know. I agree, though, that uncertainty reduction theory intuitively seems like a logical one.

Tornn said...

I enjoy the example you use about your boyfriend and his playstation because it is such a common uncertainty held. Guys and their video games just make no sense to their girlfriends a great deal of the time.

It isn't that he has any greater attachment to his game than you or a person, but more so, he plays for enjoyment or relaxation the same way you enjoy hobbies you might have. Kind of a random comment, but take it as you wish : )

OneEightNine said...

I can relate to your post. My wife and I have been married for 2 years and a lot of that time I have been sitting in front of my playstation. I dont even understand my addiction to playstation, so if you ever do figure it out, please send me a comment on my blog.
I think that someone could spend a life time researching video games and why people get so attached.
I guess when we are meeting people for the first time, using the uncertainty reduction theory, that may be one of the things we would leave out. I cant immagine going to a club or bar to meet girls and telling them that I play PS2 for 2 hours when I come home from work, then I check myspace and go to bed. I dont think that the person I was talking to would be very intersted, that is unless they have the same hobbies...