Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Personality Structure and Social Penetration

Chapter 9 discusses the theory of social penetration. Social Psychologists Irwin Altman and Dalmas Taylor explained that the "social penetration process explains how relational closeness develops." (p. 114). Making friends and starting relationships has always just been something that happens. i had never thought of the it as a process. This theory is so interesting to me because it is almost like a manual for choosing and judging possible valuable friendships. I love the example of an onion with layers. I immediately thought of the movie Shrek, I loved the onion and layers visual because I had used it before, not even knowing about this theory In a public speaking class I took our first speech was a self introduction. We were to think of a creative way to tell the class about ourselves. I thought of a bunch of different ideas but I wanted to show everyone that I had layers. I used the onion example and got an A on that speech. I see how it is so tough to really get to know someone because there are so many factors that need to become aligned in order to gain someones trust. I have had a lot of good friends but I only have a few very close friends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The onion theory is one of my favorite too. I think this is a great metaphor for how we act. We see only what others will let us. If we are lucky enough they will let us in a little more. I too have several friends, but only a handful I share my deepest darkest secrets with. Some I even still keep to myself.

Anonymous said...

Who knew Shrek was so wise? It's really crazy how we don't realize the complexity of a concept we practice every day! No wonder so many relationships fade or don't quite click, there are so many factors that need to be aligned for it to work out.

JimTin said...

I absolutely agree with you; you will definitely come across very many good friends in your life, but you will only end up having a few great friends. Nowadays (and for that matter, the way it's always been), it's extremely hard to give your trust to anyone and it also works the other way around. It's tough to give someone else your trust and it may even be harder to gain trust from certain people. But the point is this: people like you and me have layers, and for trust to be given or received, those layers must be penetrated.