Saturday, September 27, 2008

Rules of the Game

Families are very complicated. Chapter 13 talks about the family as a system, "a self regulating, interdependent network of feedback loops guided by members rules."( Griffin p. 170). Whatever happens in a family, big or small has some affect on all of the others who are part of the family. No relationship is simple, like griffin said, "Relationships are complex functions in the same sense that mathematical functions link multiple variables."(Griffin p. 170). I come from a big family so I am particularly interested in Watzlawick's interactionalist view. My family has become more complicated as we have all become older and have started our own lives. My oldest sister is married and has a baby now. All of the changes and problems they go through has had an impact on all of our lives. Even though I don't live with my parents or younger sisters,yet I hear every piece of news that happens. My family is just like the mobile that griffin describes, when one string is is severed the whole thing shifts and becomes off balance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting and completely accurate how Watzlawick describes families as a system. At times, especially when we're teenagers, we'd like to think that our family don't affect us and we're our own independent person, but it's simply not true. Even if a family member is absent--say a deadbeat dad or an estranged sibling, their non-presence still affect the family dynamics.