Thursday, October 16, 2008

Dramatism

Kenneth Burke is fascinating and complicated at the same time. When I first started reading the chapter I was impressed that he used so many different tools, as Griffin says, he used philosophy, psychology, economics, linguistics, sociology, and communication to help him create his idea of dramatisim. I agree with Burke's veiw that, “life is not like a drama; life is drama.” Burke developed the dramatist pentad as a tool to analyze how the speaker tries to persuade the audience. There are five important elements of the human drama, act, scene, agent, agency, and, purpose. It was interesting to find out that the pentad can be a way to see what the speaker's world view or philosophy is depending on what element the speaker stresses. When I speak I tend to stress the act, According to Burke, My philosophy is realism which actually is dead on.

1 comment:

daronstory said...

Burke is extremely interesting, and contributed alot to the area of communication. Is comment regarding "Life is not like a drama, it is drama," reminded me of the famous Shakespeare comment that "The world is a stage, and we are merely players." I think this very true. Sometimes the world becomes so ludacris, or touching, that it is better than any script that could have been wrote up. His analysis of the different stresses and what the emphasis for the person, are also very accurate as mentioned. I have a similiar stress on the act in communication, and thus similar belief in realism.