Saturday, October 18, 2008

Narrative paradigm

Paradigms are " a conceptual framework that calls for people to view events through a common interpretive lens." (Griffin 300). I often think of paradigms as accepted ideas that a society has. Fishers narrative paradigm offered a way to understand and explain communication behavior. Fisher thinks of every type of communication that humans find compelling or interesting can be seen as stories. The best stories are true ones, humans are constantly writing their stories; this could be one of the reasons why reality television has such a huge appeal.

1 comment:

OneEightNine said...

Realty TV, that is funny that you post this in your blog. I just made a comment to my wife last night when we were watching commercials, and I said "It is funny how much better Realty TV is now over acting shows. Its like nobody believes acting shows anymore, they just want truth."
I didnt think of Narrative Paradigm at first, but now I can see how that makes a lot of sense.