Friday, October 3, 2008

Small Group

Chapter 18 discusses Marshall Scott Poole's Adaptive Structuration theory. Poole studied patterns of communication in small groups. Through his research he learned that group decision making was very complex. He found that group dynamics are so are very complicated and cannot be predicted or boiled down to a small chain of events. Social structures were not what influence what the groups decision. He found that what people do and say and do make a difference not the social structures.
In the past when i have been in groups it is always a struggle to make a decision. Some of the groups I have been in have been complete nightmares. In the end I have had to do the work all by myself. Good communication can help groups complete their goals and make good decisions.

2 comments:

Ada said...

Social structures are not affected the group decision directly. In my experience, being in a group and making decision in the group is more difficult than making decision in our society. In our society, we have enough time to communicate to the people we deal with; and understand more the people`s personality. But, in the group, we only have a little time to communicate to each other; and don`t understand others` personality. For example,in a semester, we usually only have two or three times to meet together to discuss the group project; and then we have to make decision to catch the ending of the project. It`s not easy being in a group.

JimTin said...

I can absolutely relate to you on this topic, and this is one of the main things I hate college for, and that is being randomly assigned to groups that are absolute nightmares. I've been at SJSU for 3 years and I've been a part of some small-groups in which I actually had to ask myself "how the hell did these people even get into college?" And I'm not trying to question their intelligence at all; what I'm saying is that their motives should be put into question when they obviously do not want to contribute to their respective groups. It's absolutely irresponsible, unacceptable and most importantly, disrespectful.